It’s normal to look back into the past and mark certain dates on our calendar to commemorate or celebrate events that happened on this day and that changed the face of the world, maybe contributing to what is surrounding us at this very moment. July 13 was a date full of events, births, and deaths of people who made history and are still remembered by us.
Events That Took Place on the 13th of July
- 1772: Captain Cook begins his second expedition in search for Terras Australis, sailing on the South Seas on the Resolution ship. In January 1883 they became the first known ships to cross the Antarctic Circle.
- 1832: Geographer Henry Schoolcraft discovers the primary source of the Mississippi River, Lake Itasca.
- 1871: Harrison Weir organizes the first ever cat championship show in history. It was held in London, at the Crystal Palace. Weir was also the one to set the standards for “fancy” cats, which still serves as a base for today’s competitions.
- 1923: The Hollywood sign is dedicated officially on the hills surrounding Hollywood, LA. At first, it wrote “HollywoodLand”.
- 1930: Uruguay is the place where the first ever Football World Cup takes place after soccer was not included in the Olympics anymore.
- 1939: Frank Sinatra’s first record debuts. He became one of the most prolific singers in history as his career spanned for over 50 years. He performed for presidents John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon.
- 1984: The last sitting of an all-white Parliament in South Africa. Starting that year, it became a tricameral legislature, with a House of Assembly for whites, a House of Representatives for Coloured and a House of Delegates for Indians.
- 1985: Humanitarian concerts called “Live Aid” are held in Wembley Stadium in London and the John F. Kennedy Stadium in Philadelphia.
- 2016: Theresa May is elected the Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Famous Birthdays on July 13th
- 1940: Patrick Stewart, actor in movies like X-Men and Star Trek, is born in Mirfield, Yorkshire, England.
- 1942: Harrison Ford, actor in movies like Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Blade Runner, is born in Chicago, Illinois.
- 1944: The inventor of the Rubik’s Cube, Erno Rubik, is born in Budapest, Hungary.
Deaths on July 13th
- 1793: Jean-Paul Marat, a journalist and politician during the French Revolution is murdered in a bath and dies on this day. He was killed by a young woman named Charlotte Corday, a Girondin sympathizer who claimed that by killing one man, she saved the lives of 100.000.
- 1954: Frida Kahlo, a Mexican painter who was part of the expressionist and surrealist movement, dies at 47 from complications following a pulmonary embolism.
- 2013: Canadian actor and musician Cory Monteith died from a heroin overdose at 31.
As you can see, a lot has happened on July 13, from centuries ago to the recent years. Important figures in history were born and died, and crucial events took place in the political and economic scene. Remembering such highlights from the past will help us understand our present better and lead to a more responsible future.